Benefits of Lawns
While having a lawn helps create a serene and beautiful landscape, grass provides a great deal more than a lush green outdoor carpet for your home. It is North America's largest agricultural crop. Because it is so commonplace, it’s easy to overlook the many benefits of grass. Here are some reasons why its so important:
- Lawns can increase the value of your property by 15-20%. It improves the curb appeal of most any home. Those in real estate will tell you that homes with well-maintained landscapes and grass sell quicker and for higher values.
- Grass serves as a natural air-conditioner. Just compare the difference between standing on pavement and standing on grass on a hot day. The grass on eight average-sized healthy front lawns has the cooling effect of 70 tons of air conditioning, enough for 16 average homes!
- Grass traps dust and smoke particles from the air and acts as a filter for the air we breathe.
- Grass offers a very efficient and inexpensive erosion control method. Our streams and drainage infrastructure would be overwhelmed if not for grass’ water-retention capabilities.
- Grass captures and uses greenhouse gases, thereby counteracting climate change. It also traps air pollution and generates much of the oxygen that we breathe. A 50- by 50-foot lawn produces enough oxygen for a family of four to breathe for one year.
- Grassy areas can decrease noise by eight to 10 decibels. This is especially important in an urban location.
- Increases real estate market value and salability. A Gallup Survey reported 62% of all US homeowners felt investment in lawns and landscaping was as good or better than other home improvements. The investment recovery rate is 100 - 200% for landscape improvement, compared to a deck or patio that will recover 40 - 70% of installation cost. Proper and well maintained landscaping adds 15% to a home's value according to buyers.
- A thick yard acts like an air conditioner. Water evaporating off the grass cools the area around the house and temperatures at the ground level can be 20 - 30 degrees cooler than nearby paved areas.